Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Oaxaca New Year


I was feeling much better the next day, which was New Year's Eve, when we went to see El Tule, one of Latin America's largest trees. We took a short second-class bus ride to Santa Maria del Tule, where this tree lives. The town is built around the tree, and they charge just a few pesos to go inside the gate and get a closer look. You can't climb it, of course, much to the boys' disappointment. It really was amazing to see this monster tree. Pictures can't capture its magnitude or sagaciousness. Even the kids were temporarily in awe.










After a quick lunch (I was still too queasy to eat, but the rest had more Tlayudas), we headed back for New Year's Eve on the zocalo. As we expected, it was fun, festive, and crazy, with fireworks going off everywhere, long into the night.




I think this was the 6th New Year's Eve in a row that I kissed Ben at the stroke of midnight. That's a pretty good record, I'd say. My best yet, at least. I don't have a picture of that, though. You'll just have to imagine.

No comments: